2018-2019 Student Code of Conduct
2018-2019 Secondary Student Handbook
Health Services (School Nurse)
2018-2019 Student Dress Code
The district’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, and minimize safety hazards. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the following:
- Clothing with pictures, emblems, symbols, slogans, or writings that are lewd, offensive, vulgar, obscene, contain sexual innuendoes, advertise or depict tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, controlled substances, other outlawed items, are gang-related (including bandannas) or cause disruption to the educational process are prohibited.
- See-through attire is unacceptable unless an article of clothing is worn underneath the garment that complies with the dress code. At no time should undergarments, including bra straps, be visible. Undergarments will be worn as such and not as outerwear.
- Tight clothing that fits closely to the body is prohibited.
- Any garment, lack of garment, design of any garment, or hairstyle, which is too revealing, distracting, defiant, or disrespectful (including disrespect to the American flag) shall not be permitted.
- Boxer shorts, pajamas, house shoes, or other sleepwear may not be worn as outerwear.
Shirts, Tops, and Dress Tops:
- Shirts must be worn at all times while in the classroom, on school grounds, or at school- related or school-sponsored events.
- Shirts and dress tops may not fall more than two inches below the collarbone unless another code-compliant top is worn underneath. Halter tops, low necklines, crop tops, backless tops, spandex tops, leotards, tube tops, and midriff tops are prohibited.
- Sweaters and vests designed to wear over shirts/blouses must be worn with a shirt/blouse underneath.
- Boys: Muscle shirts, undershirts, and sleeveless shirts are not allowed at any time.
- Girls: Shirts and tops must have a shoulder strap at least one inch wide with not undergarments exposed. Low-cut tops exposing cleavage are not allowed at any time.
Pants, Shorts, Capris, Skirts, Skorts, and Dresses:
- Shorts (both boys and girls), skirts, skorts, and dresses must not be shorter than fingertips with arms down. The same standard applies to slits or slashes in skirts or dresses. Shirts or tops worn over leggings or sweat pants must also be at least fingertip length.
- Frayed jeans may be worn as long as the fray is not above fingertip level. Cut-off jeans are prohibited.
- All must fit over the hips at the waist and undergarments should not be visible. Pants may not sag or bag at the waist or drag on the ground.
- No baggy or sagging oversized (including oversized pockets) clothing is allowed.
- No tight or form-fitting pants, yoga pants, stretch pants, or leggings may be worn, unless they are worn with a top, skirt, or dress that is not shorter than fingertips with arms down.
- Spandex material and biker shorts are prohibited.
- Bare feet are prohibited. For reasons of health and safety, shoes must be worn at all times.
- The following footwear is prohibited due to health or safety concerns:
- House shoes / shower shoes
- Certain classes may require students to wear certain types of footwear. For example, athletic shoes may be required for physical education classes.
Hair and Head Wear:
Hair must be clean, well groomed, and cut or styled to be kept out of the eyes and off the face.
- Hair styles or designs that are disruptive or distracting in the school environment are prohibited (i.e. mohawks, rattails, patterns or shavings in the hair, or spikes).
- Hair color that is disruptive or distracting is prohibited (i.e. colors other than natural hair colors).
- Wigs may not be worn unless there is a medical exception.
- Notching of the eyebrows is prohibited.
- Hats, caps, sweatbands, scarves, bandannas, visors, hoodies, or other head coverings are prohibited inside all school buildings during the school day.
- Hair curlers, hair rollers, hair picks, combs, and brushes are prohibited.
- Hair should be kept out of the face and eyes. .
- Hair length on the sides and back of the head must not extend below the top of a shirt collar.
- Sideburns may not extend beyond the bottom of the earlobe.
- Ponytails or "tails" of any kind are prohibited.
- Afro hairstyles may not exceed more than three inches.
- Males must be clean shaven. Male facial hair is prohibited (i.e. beards, mustaches, and goatees). A fee of $1.00 per incident will be required each time a student is sent to the office to shave.
Jewelry, Accessories, and Winter Attire:
- The earlobe-stretching practice known as "gauging" is prohibited.
- Studded and spiked jewelry (i.e. dog collars) is prohibited. Jewelry that is deemed distracting by the faculty or staff, or that could be dangerous to the student or other individuals, is prohibited.
- Mouth grills or mouthpieces that are worn over a student's teeth and serve only a decorative purpose are prohibited.
- Visible tattoos are prohibited.
- Writing and drawing on the body is prohibited.
- Contacts that are an unnatural eye color (i.e. purple), "Wild Eye" contacts, or contacts that alter the normal shape and look of the pupil are prohibited.
- Sunglasses or other eyewear that is not for a medical reason is prohibited from being worn inside the school buildings.
- Nose rings and body piercings are prohibited.
- Males are prohibited from wearing make-up and/or fingernail polish.
- Males are prohibited from wearing earrings.
- Females are permitted to wear earrings (a maximum of two per ear).
- No jackets, coats, or vests may be longer than the student's knees.
- Trench coats or dusters are not permitted.